Costa Rica Recipes
Costa Rica Tilapia
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tilapia fillets, about 5 ounces each
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black or pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar.
- Add tilapia and marinate 15 minutes, turning once.
Bean and Rice Mixture:
- Cook rice and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large, skillet or saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat.
- Add remaining garlic and onions; sauté until translucent.
- Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, oranges, tomatoes, beans, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Cook, uncovered, until hot stirring occasionally.
- Transfer hot rice to a baking dish.
- Add bean mixture and blend.
- Overlap tilapia fillets on top and add marinade over fillets.
- Bake until the tilapia begins to flake.
We welcome submissions of Costa Rican recipes and articles on Costa Rican food as well as your personal adventures and experiences in Costa Rica. Submit your Costa Rican recipes, Costa Rican food and adventure articles using our standard submission form.
Back to Costa Rica Recipes